Great insight into the minds of our teenage students. Take away thoughts:
- We need to give students a a sense of agency.
- When given the choice, the student will choose the task that gives him a chance to be creative.
- When given the freedom to explore, students begin to find questions in everything.
- Everybody truly wants to learn.
- This type of creative learning doesn’t involve a lot of fancy equipment.
- When the adults get out of the way, the students learn.
Now how can we apply these ideas to teaching piano? Maybe the first step is to put away the method books for a while and see what happens.